A common question I get is; "What should I wear to my engagement shoot?"
Because of this I have created a style guide for my clients! I am going to summarize it up for you right here in this blog post! If you are interested in having me email you the full pdf, email me! (firstname.lastname@example.org)
First thing you need to decide is: What vibe are you going for? Do you want to be boho and earthy? How about chic and modern? What about a little bit of both?
Second thing you need to decide is: What do you want in the background?
Once you have decided on a location and theme, that’s when you plan what you are going to wear!
You also want to keep in mind that you may want to get your hair and makeup done. If this is the case you want to make sure you choose a hairstyle that matches your theme.
Wardrobe Tips & Tricks:
- The best tip in my opinion is not choose colors that will go unnoticed in the surrounding area, such as green clothing in a forest. You also want to make sure that you come up with a color scheme the two of you will be following so your outfits do not clash. You want to make sure you compliment each other and that your outfits aren’t competing.
- Limit your prints! A common mistake is to mix prints. If one of you is going to wear a plaid shirt for example then the other person should be wearing a solid shirt or top.
- If you can’t decide on a theme you want to stick to, bring two outfits! Just be sure that if you’re only bringing one pair of shoes the shoes compliment both outfits.
- Make sure you choose outfits that compliment your personalities! For example: If you’re someone who is most often wearing casual clothes, don’t show up in a ball gown or a suit. You want to dress up a little more than you would on a daily basis but you still want to look like yourself.
- Don’t wear any clothing with words on it! Clothing with font can be super distracting in photos and it can get distorted in the camera as well. Try to stick to solid colors and don’t be afraid to layer some clothing!
What to Wear to Boho Engagement Sessions:
A boho engagement session is typically full of nature. For example; mountains, woods, gardens, fields, etc. If you’re looking for a boho, earthy vibe you want to pick clothing that is nice and flowy and allows you to breathe.
Ladies, you will want to wear a maxi dress or a top with a lot of lace. Another great pattern is floral. You probably will also want to wear your hair down and in loose curls.
Gentlemen, you will want to wear a nice top and a pair of jeans or khakis. You want to wear an outfit that you would be happy
with wearing to a first date.
Check out the picture below for some ideas!